When we spotted this summer backyard bridal shower wedding idea on The Sweetest Occasion, we knew we had to share it.
This bridal shower theme is just so beautiful, isn’t it? From the picturesque outdoor setting, to the classic table scape and the big bright black-eyed susans, this relaxed bridal shower idea radiates a simplistic, fun, elegant and intimate atmosphere all wrapped up into one.
The best part of this idea (besides the yummy banana cake recipe that follows!) is that this super sweet bridal shower is totally cost effective. All of the outdoor wedding decor was put together by Amanda from i am baker for under $20!
Want the “how to”?
Use mason jars and vases that you already have (or buy them on the cheap at the nearest thrift store), use a table you already own (the more used and rustic looking the better!), any old white tablecloth will do, home bake your own goodies from scratch, and if you aren’t lucky enough to have wild black-eyed susans in your back yard, this flower is readily available in flower shops.
Remember that this bridal shower idea makes such a statement because it’s the perfect example of how “less is truly more” – keep it simple ladies and make sure to try the cake!
Banana Cake Recipe by i am baker
1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 cups cake flour
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups butter, softened
2 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese,s oftened
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cups powdered OR granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 275°
2. Grease and flour a 9×13 pan (or whatever you choose)
3. In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with lemon juice; set aside
4. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside
5. In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy
6. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tablespoons vanilla
7. Beat in the flour mixture, alternatively with the buttermilk
8. Stir in the banana mixture
9. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
10. Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist.
11. For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth
12. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla
13. Add icing sugar and beat on low speed until combined, the on high speed until frosting is smooth
14. Spread on cooled cake